The Moat Club started life as a table-tennis and drama group in 1954, its object to provide Naas with suitable facilities for drama and table tennis.
In 1960 the club bought the recently vacated Christian Brothers School. Using the upper portion as a Table Tennis hall, members began their plans to convert the lower classrooms into a theatre. With a great deal of hard work, a well equipped 125 seat theatre was opened in 1963.
Over the years, the table-tennis faded away and the drama took over, as the club expanded in numbers and rose to greater dramatic challenges. In April of 2003, the overhaul of the old theatre was complete and a new 200-seater state-of-the-art facility was opened that is now the Moat Theatre, our home.
The success of the Moat Club be seen in our long history of festival successes, including the prestigious title of All-Ireland 3-Act Final Winners, the pinnacle award for amateur drama in Ireland. The Moat Club has so far won this on three occasions: 1974, 1979 and 2000. The Moat has also won the All-Ireland 1-Act Finals and the P. J. O'Connor Radio Awards on several occasions.
A full list of all the Moat's productions 1954-2002 and awards can be found here.
Previous years' productions coming soon!